Origami Girl

Friday 13 August 2010

In which I go on holiday

-->
Hello
There's been a lot going on lately I'm afraid which is why I haven't been posting. When I say a lot I'm actually referring to holiday!
It has been a welcome break from my usual work (apart from the odd scuffle with a drug dealer) and I went with John which made it even better than just a trip away. Now that I am back there is no point hiding where I was, after all criminals can't hunt me in the past. I hope. So yes, Edinburgh Fringe. It is basically a drama festival but with 1000s of people (74000 according to Wikipedia) and 1000s of shows of all types, dance, music, comedy, drama, events, musicals etc. It is seriously blow your mind stuff, just about anything you could ever want to see is there and it is fantastic for seeing people before they become famous, seeing the potential in comedians and actors and so forth. Me and John went to see 14 shows over three days.
More on John another day, there's no time for all that back-story in this entry.
The main blog entry for today is a quick review of the things we saw and our reactions:
Connor O' Toole *
Well meaning and had the potential to be really funny but messed up the delivery a bit. It's good to support a new comedian though.
Diary of a Sentimental Killer *****
Fantastic. Captivating telling of a story. Like being tucked up to bed by an assassin. Which I don't deal well with. What was he thinking? After the show I got him in the dressing room pinned against the wall with six cranes holding him in place and gave him a good grilling. Turns out he was just an actor, but you have to be sure of these things. It was very convincing.
Remnants of Once Fine Girls ***
The acting was really good here and it did raise some interesting questions about morality which me and John discussed but we weren't so keen on the actual script. It asks whether lives are worth more if they are family. It is obviously something that as superheroes me and my boy have to wrestle with. You have to learn that all lives need saving, not just the people you directly know.
The Importance of Being Earnest ****
Can't fault the script here! Written by a genius. The acting was all good too, the problem was we were sat behind a pillar near the back of the stage. They should have set the chairs up differently. I really wanted to use my powers to just knock that pillar down but with a full house that would have been too attention seeking.
Jacob's Ladder ****
Dark but funny story of a bunch of mixed characters with issues. Sets up well and has some good monologues but ends rather abruptly.
Servant of Two Masters ****
Classic play, very funny. Truffaldino, the title servant was brilliant as were the two main female leads. I felt the male romantic leads let it down with their wooden acting at times. Oh and Sylvio couldn't decide whether he was left or right handed and kept picking up the sword with either! The actor clearly had no idea how to use it, even though the stage sword was quality he threw it down and let it roll offstage at one point. Ouch, I kept wincing at the terrible swordsmanship.
The Terrible Tales of the Midnight Chorus *****
Look! It's our other five star piece! Really couldn't fault it. Creepy stories with creepy songs, Tim Burton-esque with a puppet.
How to Be an Imaginary Friend ***
I liked the ideas behind this one, how imaginary friends cope with being ditched when their kids grow up. It had some really good moments but didn't seem to push things and just when something really good was going to happen it faded to black. Incidentally it turns out that the Conundrum Conceiver is just imaginary. Thank god we don't have to worry about him anymore.
Keith Farnam Sex Traffic ***
Stand up talking about the way women are treated. I liked it more for the ideas in it, the fact that other people were aware of these problems, than what he said as most of the facts I already knew and being a comedian he didn't go into too much detail. Also John ruined his impressive point about Rwanda by actually knowing the answer. Keith then tried to turn it round and say John didn't know the reason behind. He fumed a little but let the show go on. Only after he sneaked backstage and had a little argument about Rwandan politics. Turns out: they were both wrong. So that note he left encased in ice in his dressing room was a bit silly..
Lulu ****
Sexy cabaret. With rollerblades. I love it.
The Man and Men **
I'm sure this was very good. Only I hadn't got a clue what was going on. It was an opera based on a poem and went right over my head, especially as I couldn't follow the words but having read the lines I'm not sure it would have made much difference.
Comedy Baby *****
Three comedians in a pub for free is a good start. It helped that them and the MC were all really funny. One of the best things we saw.
Tristram Shandy ****
Classic story of a man who can't get to the point. I loved it, although again ends a little oddly. The acting was great and so was the set up of the psychiatrist with people in her office who are maybe in his head yet she can clearly see them. Lovely and surreal. I'd give it an extra half star if there was a key on my laptop for that.
The beautiful thing about this festival for me is the flyers everywhere. All the performers stand along the royal mile promoting their shows and giving me instant jail cells. Seriously, no one stood a chance there. I saw someone trying to sneak money back out of a street performer's bucket. I made the paper into a skateboard appearing beneath him and whisked him down the cobbled street into a papered pillar. He just thought he had slipped! I do love holidays.
Woa. This is sooo very long. I'm sorry for that. Well done if you actually pushed through to the end.
I'll be back to saving the world and fashion next week.
In the meantime, do not trust this man:
He is not a hitman, no matter what he says otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment