Origami Girl

Sunday 31 January 2016

In which I visit Hogwarts

 

I visited the Harry Potter studio tour last weekend and it was incredible. One of the best days out I've had.

What amazed me the most was how much in Harry Potter was 'real'. And by real I mean a solid physical thing you can touch, not a cgi creature or a computer special effect. Not that the magic was real but still,
the self-chopping carrots in the Burrow
the chamber of secrets snake mechanism door opening
the mandrake roots
the hippogriff
the Knight bus
the Gringott's cart
the self stirring cauldrons in the potions room
all of that was mechanical with working parts and moving pieces.

It was impressive the things that they built and the lengths they went to for 'reality'. There's a depth to the films that I wasn't fully breathing in.
Even the creatures that were CGI had working layers first - take the Thestrals. First they designed them, then made models with moving parts in order to see where the shadows would fall and how they would move, then scanned them into a computer programme and then animated from there. They had 125 people just working in the puppets and animatronics department. Mind blown.

I spent so much of the day with my jaw dropped or my feet bouncing in excitement. Also, I took 300 photos, so whilst I've put some of favourite things here there is so much to see, I don't think I'm spoiling it for you. I'm just sharing my delight.

Those films really were unlike anything else I can think of. People grew up on those sets, and dedicated years of their lives to perfecting them, so I would definitely reccommend a visit if you can. 

They had all the chess pieces about the tour too.
10 points to Gryffindor!


Yup, also real and moving.


I loved all the paintings! What a job. Just doing fine art oil paintings of witches and wizards.


This stuff actually moved. Brilliant!

Magic is Might

Actual Hogwarts Express!
I'm just chilling on the Hogwarts Express. :D

Thestral
Masks and mandraks

Buckbeak moved its head and blinked eyes and everything



Hogsemede modelling
Architectural designs for the burrow

So this was the moment I nearly screamed in delight, and my jaw just dropped. Walking in on the scale model of Hogwarts that they used for aerial shots.
And take a look at that scale! Look at the people on the steps walking around it.
I could not be more impressed

1 comment: